Friday, April 21, 2006

My technique

In Collage Cats yahoo group I mentioned I was going to tell how I create my backgrounds on my Journal Art Pages....Here it is:

I use an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of scrapbooking paper..I love the thickness and seems to hold up well to my abuse lol......I start off by picking random collage pieces....I actually adhere them before anything else....next take a good ol crayola crayon (just grab a color that tickles you) then color over entire page. leaving a 1/4" halo around your image(leave that white for now I will get to that "halo" part) ....are you done coloring yet hehehe....ok now take a colored pencil..lets say you picked an orange color crayon for the background....try a red or yellow pencil...experiment with this..you will be surprised with what color combos you come up with!.....now with your colored pencil color over your crayon background....its a pain but the results are really cool!....now if you don't want any white showing thru....go over it again but this time with another colored pencil in the same color as your crayon color you used originally......I know by now your thinking, this woman is nutz (your right hehe) ......now back to that "halo" thing....most of the time I use a bright pink crayon pen (heck I don't know what their even called, It looks like a pen but has a crayon inside) sheesh, ya confused yet? LOL I think I found them at the Dollar General (I will get back to you on that) a regular crayon will work or an oil pastel.....go around the image coloring in the halo...Ok what you think?.....Let me know your results for this! If you have any problems or questions don't hestitate to ask!......I will get to how I create borders in my next Posting! If you would like a visual on this just ask I would be more than happy to post some pics of the process!

Hugs to all and Happy Creating!

Nancy

6 Comments:

Blogger artjunk~ said...

wow Nancy, that's really cool. you have a unique style. I think it's neat to hear your process. I am working on an art journal now. I'll have to try something new. the pencil over the crayon sounds like interesting. I'm sure you've perfected it! do you also do pages with paints and what kind of things do you use for your collage pieces? I also really like the page below. the green is marvelous. :)

8:27 PM, April 21, 2006  
Blogger artjunk~ said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:27 PM, April 21, 2006  
Blogger Nancy Baumiller said...

Thank you....Im a sharing kinda person lol...perfected..hmmm naw I am still learning myself here..Ive had no formal training or any art classes since highschool...so I am really winging it here lol....Yes I do use a bit of paint but not too much or it warps my paper(thinking real serious here about watercolor paper..as far as collage pieces go...I use snips from magazines, I just adore Teesha Moores collage sheets, I draw alot of what you see..and i cut out pieces from scrapbook paper like from 7 gypsies...I have so much trouble finding face images I like and things like legs and arms....damn I should have a class!!! not just yet though I have no idea how to set one up or funding or whatever your suppose to do...Guess I will look into it...does this answer your questions..if not let me know..Hugs darlin...

9:30 PM, April 21, 2006  
Blogger Nancy Baumiller said...

Oh I forgot...I am making some of my own collage sheets to sale on my website...still working on that I should have those posted by next weekend...I was pushing for this weekend..just aint happenin ahh well

9:33 PM, April 21, 2006  
Blogger artjunk~ said...

Nancy!! guess what? I tried the technique you described and it was so much fun! I have not gotten the pencils out in forever and normally don't use. It was great to learn this new technique. I used it for a page in the book of dreams I'm going to participate in on artsymama's blog. I am going to post a link to your tutorial when I post for this project. It was so relaxing to use the pencil over crayon and I esp. like your "halo" around collage piece tip. thank you so much for posting this. I love learning from other artists and it's so different from learning from a book. the personal "touch" is so special! Hugs. lia

8:08 PM, April 23, 2006  
Blogger Nancy Baumiller said...

Awwwwwwww Lia! How wonderful! I am so pleased you had fun with this technique. It is relaxing with the pencil over crayon technique...the pencil takes a bit of the wax away and a new color of sorts appears and watching it come alive is just the greatest. I got goosey bumps just reading your post and got to admit I am blushing because I am one of the "newbies" to this collage world...well at least online. It started as just a personal thing for me..It helped me out of a deep depression...and the lovely things you said just made my day Thank you soooo very much! Aww happy tears here lol HUGS Nancy

10:40 AM, April 25, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home